The short version
I’m a veteran magazine editor who specializes in writing and editing complex, multi-source features and is also an experienced supervisory editor and, in recent years, a prolific news writer, primarily for online venues.
The topics about which I’ve written over the past 25-plus years range from real estate and fire/EMS, to retailing and law enforcement training. Prior to the publications listed on my Clips page, my freelance writing appeared in the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, Columbia Journalism Review, Crain’s Chicago Business, Crain’s Small Business, Folio:, Inland Architect, Metro Chicago Real Estate, The Police Marksman (with photos), Real Estate Business, Recycling Today, Screen and Urban Land.
I’ve done freelance editing on an equally wide variety of projects, including a book on the Italian knightly fighting arts for Freelance Academy Press, a magazine for an orthopedic hospital and training manuals for the National Electrical Code.
I’ve been a screening judge for the BPA’s Neal Awards twice and also a judge four times (three times screening, once finalist) for Advanstar Communications’ annual editorial audit/competition.
My journalism education includes a master’s from the magazine program at Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism.
The full version
February 2019 – present
Contributing writer, BREAKINGMED.COM, Livingston, N.J.
Write news stories based on just-released medical studies.
October 2017 – present
Copy editor, HARVARD HEALTH PUBLISHING, Boston
Edit consumer healthcare reports (almost 20 to date) on a variety of topics, including fibromyalgia, kidney stones, hip and knee replacement, hepatitis C, and endometriosis.
November 2011 – present
Contributing editor, COMMERCIAL PROPERTY EXECUTIVE, New York
Write breaking news stories for this commercial real estate website, the successor to Commercial Property News (see below).
June 2007 – present
Reporter, REUTERS HEALTH, New York
Write news stories about clinical medical research, a total of more than 650 so far.
February 2018 – April 2018
Writer, THE CENTER FOR MEDICAL EDUCATION, Creamery, Pa.
Wrote tightly formatted abstracts of medical journal articles in emergency medicine and primary care. In April 2018, part of this business was sold to new owners, who discontinued the medical abstracts.
April 2008 – March 2017
Contributing writer, COURTBRIEFS.COM
Wrote same-day lawsuit summaries for this subscription e-newsletter from Law Bulletin Publishing Co., Chicago. (CourtBriefs ceased publication in March 2017.)
April 2014 – January 2016
Contributing writer, MANAGED HEALTHCARE EXECUTIVE magazine, Cleveland
Wrote multiple feature articles for this monthly print magazine covering issues in managed care.
September 2012 – December 2014
Contributing editor, MEDICAL ECONOMICS magazine, Cleveland
Wrote several feature packages, including cover features, for this prominent practice-management print magazine.
April 2011 – February 2013
Contributing writer, CHICAGO DAILY LAW BULLETIN
Wrote appellate case summaries for a standing section on the paper’s front page.
September 2010 – October 2011
Contributing writer, CROR OUTCOMES newsletter
Center for Rehabilitation Outcomes Research, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
Wrote features and profiles related to CROR’s activities and programs.
February 2009 – October 2010
Contributing writer, FIRE APPARATUS & EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT magazine
November 2007 – December 2008
Contributing editor, COMMERCIAL PROPERTY NEWS, New York
Wrote daily breaking news stories for this commercial real estate print publication’s website.
March 2007 – present
Since 2007, in addition to the publications above, I’ve written for 360°: The Merrill Lynch Management Magazine (with photos), The Architect’s Newspaper (with photos), Chemistry, Chicago Lawyer, Modern Deli, National Real Estate Investor, Shopping Centers Today and IHS.com.
December 2007 – February 2013
Senior editor, THE PRAETORIAN GROUP, San Francisco
On a part-time basis, supervised editorial content, including a weekly e-newsletter, for Homeland1.com, part of Praetorian’s network of more than 15 emergency service–related Web sites, and the successor to Homeland Protection Professional magazine (see below).
June 2002 – March 2007
Partner and Founding Editor, HOMELAND PROTECTION PROFESSIONAL, Chicago
Managed all editorial material for a start-up magazine aimed at a national cross-section of public- and private-sector managers involved in terrorism and disaster preparedness and response, circulation 24,000.
• Established and helped judge the annual Interagency Disaster Preparedness Awards, in partnership with the International Association of Emergency Managers (2005–2006).
• Co-conceived and edited and typeset a 140-page guidebook on homeland security funding and purchasing, aimed at vendors in this market and published in fall 2005.
• A feature article by Randall D. Larson in the July 2004 issue received the 2004 Bill Leonard Professional Media Award from the American Radio Relay League.
• Gave an extemporaneous presentation on U.S. emergency services after 9-11-01 at the 8th United Kingdom/United States Fire Service Symposium, Plymouth, England, April 2003.
• Received an expenses-paid fellowship to attend a four-day National Press Foundation seminar on homeland security, February 2003.
Oct. 1991 – March 2001
Editor, FIRE CHIEF, Intertec Publishing (previously Argus Inc.), Chicago
Oversaw editorial operations at the leading magazine for fire service officers. Fire Chief is a four-color monthly whose circulation of 52,000 includes more than 95 percent of the nation’s fire chiefs. Supervised three junior editors. Handled acquisition and editorial planning and managed a $40,000 annual contributors budget. Did substantial editing of feature articles. Worked with our creative director on covers and interior art. With the publisher, planned the editorial calendar and budget.
• A feature that appeared in the March 2001 issue was a runner-up in the Best Investigative Article category of Intertec’s third annual Foundation Awards.
• In April 2001, Fire Chief placed in the top five (out of 78 magazines) in both categories of a survey measuring the extent to which readers saw Intertec magazines as “must-reads.”
• In November 1999, Fire Chief took second place out of 43 entries in the Staff-Written Editorial Column category of Intertec’s first annual Foundation Awards.
• In October 1999, started up an annual supplement on fire station design.
• In May 1999, started up an annual poster on terrorism response.
• Gave a presentation on the U.S. urban fire problem at the 4th annual United Kingdom/United States Fire Service Symposium, Chester, England, October 1998.
• In August 1995, Fire Chief received an Argus Inc. “Alpha Sigma” award for editorial excellence. (Only five out of 36 Argus Inc. publications were so recognized.)
• In March 1995 accepted an appointment to the International Association of Fire Chiefs Public Relations Task Force.
• The April 1992 cover won an Ozzie Awards honorable mention.
Sept. 1992 – Nov. 1993
Founding Editor, INDUSTRIAL FIRE CHIEF, Argus Inc., Chicago
As part of an editorial/design/management team, helped develop a new four-color bimonthly (14,000 circulation) aimed at industrial fire protection, emergency response and safety managers. Supervised a managing editor, who was later promoted to editor.
• 1993 Ozzie Awards honorable mention for best-designed new trade publication (under 50,000 circ.).
July 1989 – April 1992
Editor, MIDWEST REAL ESTATE NEWS, Argus Inc., Chicago
Managed editorial for this four-color, tabloid monthly (20,000 circulation) covering commercial real estate in 10 states. Supervised an assistant editor and assigned features to freelance contributors. Edited features and wrote news stories and headlines. Laid out each issue’s cover and feature well.
• In July 1990 was promoted to Editor/Associate Publisher.
Oct. 1988 – July 1989
Editorial Assistant, LAW BULLETIN PUBLISHING CO., Chicago
Responsibilities included feature and department writing, copy editing/proofreading, photo editing, typesetting, keylining and occasional photography for three real estate publications.
Feb. 1990 – Oct. 1991
Copy Editor, ORTHOPAEDIC UPDATE, Charlotte, N.C.
Copy edited and proofread this 5,000-circulation semiannual orthopedics magazine aimed primarily at physicians in the Southeast.
Sept. 1988 – Oct. 1989
Regional Correspondent, ADWEEK, Chicago
Reported, wrote and copyfit about one piece a week for this advertising industry weekly’s “Diary” and “Corridor Talk” departments.
Feb. 1989 – Aug. 1989
Copy Editor, CHICAGO ENTERPRISE, Chicago
Proofread and copy edited features and departments for this award-winning economic-development monthly.
• Articles have appeared in 9-1-1 Magazine, American City & County, Chicago Enterprise, Chicago Journalist, Chicago Reader, Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, Columbia Journalism Review, Crain’s Chicago Business, Crain’s Small Business, Folio:, Homeland Security & Defense, Inland Architect, Metro Chicago Real Estate, Model Railroader (with photos), National Fire Protection Association Journal, National Real Estate Investor, The Police Marksman (with photos), Real Estate Business, Real Estate Chicago, Recycling Today, Screen, University Business, Urban Land and other publications.
• Articles have been reprinted by Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Midway Observer and Copy Editor and in “The Handbook of Magazine Publishing” (Cowles Business Media).
• In 1997 and 1998, served as a screening judge for the ABP Neal Awards.
• In 2000, 2002 and 2004 served as a screening judge, and in 2001 as a finalist judge, for the annual Advanstar Communications Inc. Magazine of the Year competition.
Guest and substitute lecturing in typography and magazine writing, Northwestern University’s School of Continuing Studies, 1994–98, 2001–2005.
Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, Evanston, Ill.
M.S. in Journalism. Magazine concentration.
North Park College, Chicago
B.A. in Psychology, Magna cum laude. National Merit Scholar.
Classes and seminars in magazine design, editing and management; medical editing; typography; and information design through ASBPE (2006), ASBPE/Midwest (1992, ’93); Dynamic Graphics Educational Foundation (1992); Folio: Midwest (1988, ’92, ’93, ’97, ’98); Graphics Press (2000); Print Production ’93; and University of Chicago Publishing Program (1992).
Association of Health Care Journalists, 2011–present
American Society of Business Publication Editors, 2004–2007
Chicago Swordplay Guild, 2002–present
• Attained rank of Scholar (Armizare), March 2004.
• Communications Officer, 2003–2008
return to top of page